Horsham, West Sussex
Online hypnosis also available
I am a certified Clinical Hypnotherapist in Horsham, West Sussex, an accredited Member of the British Association of Therapeutic Hypnotherapists and a Fellow at the Association of Accredited Counsellors, Coaches, Psychotherapists and Hypnotherapists. I am also registered with the CNHC, a regulator approved by the Professional Standards Authority, which is recommended by the NHS.
Book a free, no obligation chat with Athol to see how he can help you.
What is Hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy, often called hypnosis or hypnotic suggestion, is an altered state of consciousness, where you are in a deep state of relaxation. When you are in hypnosis, you will feel calm and relaxed, and be subconsciously open to addressing your problems. Hypnosis is a psychological technique used as a tool to help bring about positive changes to both the mind and the body.
What is Hypnotherapy commonly used for?
- Stress and anxiety treatment
- Confidence and self esteem
- Guilt or anger
- Grief management
- Pain management and chronic pain conditions
- Fears or phobias
- Sleep and insomnia
- Bad habits
- Weight Loss
- Age regression (hypnoanalysis)
- Sports performance
- Stage fright or performance nerves and public speaking
- Smoking cessation
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( IBS NICE recommended CG 61/2 )
- Gastrointestinal side effects (including pregnancy and chemotherapy)
- Pre-operative anxiety and post-operative pain
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Bruxism (Teeth grinding)
- Undesirable spontaneous behaviours
- Sexual dysfunction (Male and Female)
- Other problems or conditions which are cognitive based
Hypnotherapy can be an effective method for coping with stress and anxiety. In particular it may also help you reduce stress or anxiety before an event, such as a medical procedure. “Hypnosis has been proven to be effective in the management of anxiety and is extremely safe and generally well received by patients.” Dr Slater, Northampton General Hospital.
How am I hypnotised?
You are encouraged to relax and enjoy each session, around an hour long, clients describe the process as deeply relaxing and therapeutic.
Hypnosis is divided into four distinct phases, which we discuss in detail at your first session.
- A hypnotic induction, where you simply relax and listen to my voice.
- A deepener, and visualisation, where you relax further, and become receptive to positive suggestions which are appealing to your subconscious.
- The therapy, where we have a discussion and take specific actions to resolve the problem.
- The awakener, where you are gently returned to the room.
You are always in control, and you cannot be forced to do anything your mind considers unacceptable. You can also voluntarily bring yourself out of hypnosis.